Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I'm just an average girl...

Now I am a girl that loves routine.

Like I know that every weekday morning I will get my kids off to school, I come home, walk or shower, have computer time, take a break around 10:30/11:00...maybe do a bit of housework, make a few calls...jump back on computer, have lunch right at NOON while I watch my show {that is a WHOLEother post-LOL}.

After lunch it's time to get off my bum and get laundry sorted {i hate that job}, pick up, scrub bathrooms...whatever house stuff that needs to get done. Sometimes I take this time to get my shopping done or other errands. Other times I head downstairs to scrapbook, work on Project Life or just surround myself with all my creative goodies.


I pick the kids up at 3:00...head to Sonic for our half/price drinks, then home for more housework/chat with the kids and start thinking about supper.

That's my day...most everyday. It rarely changes.

WHY?

Because I like it that way. I never used to see myself as so ordinary...but I am.

I am a creature of habit.

"That man is happiest who lives from day to day and asks no more, garnering the simple goodness of life." -Euripides

Should I be asking more out of my life? It's a question I ask myself at least every week. Afterall I am a very goal-oriented soul...or at least I thought I was. I mean I have ran marathons, completed a triathlon...I have a college degree.

Yet, here I am living very average days...

"One appreciates that daily life is really good when one wakes from a horrible dream, or when one takes the first outing after a sickness. Why not realize it now?" -William Lyon Phelps

I suppose I "do realize it now". I realize that it is these average, ordinary days that make up most of life. It's the sports practices, orthodontic appointments, grocery lists, errands, endless loads of laundry, trying to figure out what's for dinner...then making it, the picking up, the occasional walks with my daughter, soccer games, school plays, movie nights with my family, dressing up to go out once in awhile with my husband...it's all that and more. My average, ordinary life is all MINE.

It's mine. And I LOVE it. I adore it. I look forward to each and every day.

I make my bed with a smile {most days}. I see the positive in sorting socks {okay, that may be pushing it!}.

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return."  -Mary Jean Iron

What about you? How do you see your days? Are you like me...comforted by the routine of it all or are you a "fly by the seat of your pants" kind of girl that craves something new each day? I want to hear all about it!!! 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

{my interview is still on it's way for my "Make My Monday" post-she is one BUSY lady!!}

7 comments:

  1. Love your day! Wish mine was that relaxing! I to, thrive on a routine and always have a "plan"...I love to sort things and make "to-do" list. I feel like I get more accomplished when I do.

    Most my days run about the same except if there is a ballgame thta we have that night...then that throws a kink in my schedule and I'm not happy about it!

    I love the hum drum of my days. Why anyone wants to live a hectic rush rush life is beond me. i love the slow pace of our lives...I guess it's not for everyone, but it fits us just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo this was a fun day in the life :) i too have a pretty strict routin and I love it. I feel safe and in control. even though my family mocks me for it lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOH great post! This is a tough one for me. Most days I LOVE ordinary life. I love being able to stay home with my children and make this house a home. Then there are those days were my soul aches for more. Where I have that thought "This can't be it" I really like that last quote you posted by Mary Jean Iron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great food for thought, Les. I am going to read and ponder this one again (when Aud isn't pulling on my nose). Thanks, Les!

    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the midst of my "chaos", I do have a routine. With young kids at home (3 and 6), it's not always as well thought out as I'd like, though. Yet, while I do like routine . . . I LOVE being spontaneous. So in our house, we may start the day with one plan - but end it doing something very different. My FAVORITE Day, though? PJ's, couch, and Lifetime Movie Network (HOW BORING!!!) Right now, that kind of day is only in my dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your day sounds pretty much like mine to be honest, and I like it that way too. I truly like being a homebody keeping my home nice, taking care of my duties (that I choose to do) and then taking care of the kids when they come home When my routine changes, depending on what it is, like lunch with friends, shopping that is OK. Hope to see you again over at my blog!~ thanks for coming

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!