Thursday, July 22, 2010

Artistic Mother-Where I Create {all new!!}

Happy Thursday, girls:) 

Okay, so do you remember a month or so ago I told you I was moving some of my art supplies from my space downstairs to my computer room upstairs because I needed the sunlight?

I spent a week trying to decide what to bring up and rearranging furniture. Eventually it was done, I wrote a post about it, showed you a few photos and that was that. Well, not really. I hated it. I mean truly hated it. 

 I really love my computer room. It's cozy and their is lots of sun {which I adore} however....

there was just zero inspiration. ZERO.

Sooooo the day after I posted my "after" photos here I began to analyze my space downstairs. I realized several things:

1) Okay, so there isn't windows in the craft room BUT there are plenty of windows {aka SUN} in the family room and the family room flows nicely into the craft room so why not utilize them both and have one amazingly cool and inspiring place to create?!

That's what I did and that is where I've been creating my heart out ever since!! Here it is!!

Let's start with the space with no windows. I LOVE this room!! I remember when we looked at buying this home I was downright giddy when I saw this...the perfect craft space {sure wish there was even just one tiny little window-lol}

While it's not very big it has a ton of storage and the counter is just the right height for me to stand and scrap or paint or whatever. Here's looking to the left...
Notice some of my favorite scrappy pages on the cabinets? This is what you see on the far left of the room. Can you believe this space was supposed to be a storm cellar?? The previous owners built the home and they actually got into an argument over what to do with the space. The wife won:)


Here are photos looking to the right now...

Through the years I have collected various organizers for my space. These white ones are from Target. They are my favorite! Each cube was $25 but I made sure and bought them on sale each time:) The punches are setting on one of those plastic spice holders you get in the kitchen department at Wal-Mart.
A close-up of my foam stamps. I did this 2 years ago. I was so tired of trying to figure out how to store these plus I would forget all the ones I had.

Each stamp is attached by velcro right to the wall. 

Okay...so now let's start down the hallway to the family room where the sunshine is-LOL!

So this is what you see when standing in the craft room looking to your left. That shelf holds photo albums. See that cool, retro looking clock on the right? I have an altered project in mind for that. Can't wait to get started. And btw, I can have total privacy in my craft space by using the pocket doors. {or i can use the doors when my space is a mess...which it was just a day ago-lol}

I purchased this cute cabinet at an auction for 5 bucks!! It houses my unused mini albums and a few favorite books.


We have made it to the place where I CreATe!! It's open, there is sunlight pouring in and it's inspirational. I love it!!!!!!


We purchased this hand made counter from a friend who had gone out of business. We paid $100 for it. The counter top has custom fit glass on them. What I really love is once again it is the perfect height for me to stand and work {yes, I am a stander!!}
This is looking directly where I put my project I'm working on and all the goodies that I have close by...

To my left...

To my right...
I am surrounded by my fave tools, flowers, brads, stamps, inks, words and quotes.

This is to the left of my counter...this is where Em creates her masterpieces.

We have loads of fun together:)

While I have most of of "go-to" items close at hand there are dozens of supplies I store in other areas...paint, papers, punches, more stamps, more ephemera and my idea books. This area is what I see if I'm standing and working...
It is behind our couch. I use it to store pattern papers sorted by theme {girl, boy, heritage, etc.} My honney bought me the clip it up 2 anniversaries ago!!

Here is what you see if you look to the right of my counter...

Lots of storage and my family photo wall. Makes me happy:) 

Some close-ups...
I bought this at an auction last spring.
It houses my paint, crayons, fave punches, photos and  other oddball type stuff.

That's all my Mod Podge on top. And remember that blue basket? It is my go-to basket if I'm wanting to create outside or at the kitchen table. It has all my "Journal Revolution" supplies in it.

That blue basket to the right on the floor has my art papers, felt shapes and larger objects I want to alter in it.

This darling little shelf was built by my Grandpa Kern. He has been gone 26 years.


I love that a part of him is with me when I create. He was a wood artist!!

My dear Pooh Bear...I have had him since I was 9 years old.


Love my white bookshelf.

The shelves are filled with mini albums {some finished, some in progress and some empty} along with my favorite art books.

During our 31 Days Challenge I am doing a post on my favorite books!! You won't want to miss that:)

Here's a few more inspirational photos and stuff on my bookcase.

To the left is my sweet little boy. I actually made that clip it's on at CKC last fall. Kam and Abbie are on top and my kids are to the top left with one of our fave missionaries Jordan!! That's my friend and one of my biggest inspirations Lisa Bearnson. We are in her scrap space. She and I have been friends nearly 5 years now. I created that "L" a few years ago. Love it!

Well, there ya' go. This is my space that I created and I LOVE it. And you know...even though I spent all that time lugging supplies upstairs and thinking that my office is where I wanted to be for awhile...doing that made me look at my space here differently and allowed me to make this a place I love with all my heart. One that I will use and be inspired by daily. 

I will leave you with a cute piece I made last week. In the book "The Artistic Mother" our first assignment is to create background papers. This is just one of them...

I used two different acrylic paints, outlined the piece with a cra-pas then added a rub-on, flowers a few stamps and my journaling. So fun!

Again, I hope you have enjoyed the tour and I hope that something I've done has inspired you today!!!

Remember to grab a button and play along with our 31 Days Creativity Challenge. I have so many ideas to help you in your creative journey!! Not sure what the Challenge is? Read all about it here!!

I would love to know what your favorite part of your creative space is...Leave me a comment!!!!

15 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful Leslie! It makes me want to organize!! I can't wait to see the work that will come flowing out of this new, inspirational space! : )

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an awesome space you have....I am SO NOT JEALOUS!!!!! :O)

    I would love to have all those cabinets!!!!

    I would have to say my place to get away would have to be the laundry room....well....at tleast it has a door I can close! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Looks fabulous! Enjoy creating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why, but I love looking at other people's creative spaces! Yours looks really nice...My favorite part of my creative space, is all of the art work my kids bring home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am jealous! I wish I had a craft room! My heart desires a darkroom so I can pick up my photography again.

    Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great space. I can't wait to see it in person! You and I are so alike in that we like things organized. I am a fiend about it! Makes me want to get creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE your space - all of it! So organized, inviting and creative! I think it's about the size of our entire apartment!! haha! I can't wait to have a house one day so I can find a nook to call my own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love yours...nothing is good at the moment...took it a out to the garage to get rid of the mess being inside, and hardly created anything since....my house is not huge and space imited..i am in a quandry as to what to do!!!????

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Ms. Leslie...I love what you've done with the place!! What a joy when you have the area to feel the inspiration!! Y'done good!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really Really Really love the look of this place - what wonderful spaces you've got for yourself. I'm really lacking in a creative space and it's something that has bothered me for quite some time. Might need to use your photos for inspiration, Ms. Les! (Love the velcro of the stamps on the wall - super cool!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful space - and just for you! I love seeing all the little details and wonderful background paper - that has been my favorite part of the book and group - learning how to make my own, it has opened up a whole new world of possibilities . . . Kristin xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking at other people's creative spaces today is making me want to finish mine. I have not nearly as much space as you do, but I did take over the unused living room in my little townhome last month after leaving it empty and lifeless for 6 years. Thanks for sharing your space(s) and your inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Leslie, my name is Flavia, I'm Brazilian and I'm part of a blog called "Smashmania", where I and my friends smash book maniacs like me, show our work and also illustrated with works of other people that inspires us and who also venture into the world of Smash Book.
    The blog is at the beginning and there are still a few posts and also a few followers, The posts are all in Portuguese, I suggested placing a translation device now at the beginning of the month.
    Today, I saw a page that you did and pined at Pinterest. It's really cool. I want to do a post about other smashers gallery, on March 7, I would ask your permission to display the page you made ​​and which is exposed in Pinterest, the image is one that has the silhouette of a girl, is divine(http://pinterest.com/pin/82120393174857800/)! I would also like to invite you to come and honor our blog also will be starting its activities on March 1st. Have preceding the acknowledgments, I would say that would be an honor to have your presence on our blog.
    Thank you so much.
    Flavia

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!