Thursday, December 15, 2011

Gratitude in my Heart

I believe that when we're in need of something the "universe" makes sure we get it. My universe is my Father in Heaven. He knows me. He knows exactly what I need to help me through my day, my struggles, my life.




Lately things in our life have been less than ideal. We are under stress that I imagine will last into Spring and maybe beyond...

Yet, despite all of this I am choosing to find the good in my life.

I am choosing to Believe that everything my family and I may go through in the next 6 months has a purpose.

I choose to grow and become a better woman.








I  choose to be grateful.

Last Sunday night as I was sitting on the couch making menu plans for the week, it dawned on me I should start a gratitude journal. Years ago I had kept one and loved it! Thanks to author Sarah Ban Breathnach and Oprah Winfrey I have a  book filled with the sweetest little memories of my children and my life that brought me joy and peace no matter what kind of day I was having.
So, I started a gratitude journal that very night.

The next day while I was reading through my favorite blogs I read a post by Lee Clements. The title of the post? GRATITUDE. I smiled and nodded my head as I read her lovely words. She shared about her gratitude journal and how Sarah Ban Breathnach had been such an inspiration to her. Wow! I couldn't believe it!! Less than 12 hours before I had been thinking about the very same thing.



About an hour later I picked up our church magazine the Ensign. The first page I flipped to read something like this..."100 reasons you should keep a gratitude journal".
Then I turned the page and their was one of my favorite church leaders Henry B. Eyering and his talk on gratitude


Now I know gratitude is a hot topic during this season. But I don't believe in  coincidences. I believe that because my Father in Heaven knows what's ahead for me...He is trying to gently remind me what's truly important.




We are not our things. We are not our house, our cars, our clothes, our stuff.


What's important in living a good life is family. It's love at home. It's prayer. It's knowing that we can weather any storm because we have one another.






That same night I was baking a few treats for our Seminary Christmas party. I had 2 packs of saltine crackers on a cookie sheet and was spreading them around in oil. I stopped for just a moment and couldn't believe what I saw. On one of the crackers was the most perfect heart baked right in. It was perfect. And no, I didn't get a photo. I was too busy showing everyone and laughing. We all thought it was just so cool. I thought it was more than cool. I knew it was another sign. I knew it was the Spirit witnessing to me that I was on the right path. That as long as I keep my heart filled to the brim with faith and love and gratitude...then everything would be okay.





"Peace I leave with you;
my peace I give to you.
Not as the world gives
do I give to you. 
Let not your hearts be troubled,
neither let them be afraid."
~ John 14:27 ~

6 comments:

  1. You have the right attitude with the challenges you are facing. It's hard to see now, but you and your family will be just fine. The lessons you will learn will be worth the trial, and as hard as it will be at times, you will come out of it a stronger person. I will be thinking about you and praying for the strength you need to endure. Sure do love ya friend!! Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Leslie for linking to my blog. As you know i do believe in divine timing and the universe sure pulled out all stops to get you a message this week. I am glad I could be a part of it. I am sending you grateful hugs for whatever challenges you are facing.
    Lee:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Leslie. I think a gratitude journal is such a fantastic idea. I've wanted to do something like that--just a super informal list of a few things each day--but I am so bad about doing anything every day. But, of course, I incorporate it into my prayers, which helps me look back over the day. It really does help me focus on the important things in life (which often aren't "things" at all).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post today. It is a good reminder about what really matters, mid the stresses of life, and to be grateful for those things (and people) who add that stress! How sad life would be without them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my Brave Girl!! Gratitude journals always help. I keep pointing out to my girls how much we have, though we'd be called poor. It's all in the attitude. Just remember the start of Phi. 4:8, "Whatsoever things are true. . ." You only need enough light for the step you are on.
    You know how we always say, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it"? My daughter is struggling a lot, because her husband is in jail. She starts to follow Satan down the road of "what if". I keep reminding her, "We're not there yet (meaning the bridge)".
    I hope you and Dave have a sweet time of restoration these next few days. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful post. A gratitude journal sounds like a great idea. It really is important to sometimes look at the bigger picture and be thankful to all that we have rather than what we don't

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!