Monday, June 23, 2014

Time to Be True

"Put your heart, mind, intellect and soul even to your smallest acts. This is the secret of success."  -Swami Sivandanda


I am struggling in so many areas of my life right now. Since last November I have been trying to lose weight and just be healthy. Here it is almost 8 months later and I have only lost 10 pounds. I keep playing with the same 5 pounds. One week I am up one week down. It is driving me crazy. And what's worse than the lack of my weight loss is the fact I haven't reached ONE goal in MONTHS. Not even the simplest thing like getting my steps or water in daily.

I am a mess.
And it shows.

In my daily life, my artwork, my spirit.

My headaches are coming back with a vengeance. I am not sleeping well and my moods are up and down. Somethings got to change. It's time for me to be TRUE to me again.

A Brave Art piece I created a few years ago.

This morning I met with my Curves Coach and I admitted something to her and to myself...I don't think I am worth all the effort it takes to be healthy. I have been at my current weight and situation for so long that I just don't think I can ever break through to the next level.

How sad is that?

I am constantly thinking of others and taking time for them but when it comes to me...I just put myself on the back burner. And guess what?? It is taking it's toll.

So today, with the help of my Curves Coach Renee...we came up with goals to help me get back on track...all I gotta do is show up and BE BRAVE.

A page from my art journal

So here I am today, all my papers and planner spread out in front of me planning my week. I KNOW that when I plan...magic happens.

A page from my art journal

I am inspired to create a Quote journal...full of my favorite quotes that motivate me to STAY TRUE. I love it when I can combine art with my goals!!

A page from my art journal

So this week I re-commit to ME. I re-commit to loving myself enough to stay focused and REACH my goals. I know I can do this. I know that when I put my HEART into something...things get done!

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."  -Vincent Van Gogh

What are ways that YOU get back on track when you feel like you have lost your way? I would love to know!!

8 comments:

  1. Funny how so many are going through the same things now. We are doing a lot of juicing and find the same thing on the scale. I recharge with yoga, breathing and my artwork. I love your idea with journaling and your fav. quotes.... sounds fun! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie,

    This post resonates on so many levels (for me). Even though I'm single, you'd think I'd have all this time to devote to making myself better (lose weight). I've used every excuse in the book and just haven't really been interested -- what if I get attention from some guy? What if I lose weight and DON'T get any attention? I'm turning 55 in a few days and I'm finally going to devote some time to me and my health. I'm going to try juicing for dinners. We'll see how that works out.

    Big hugs coming your way from New Mexico,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello - I read your post this morning as it came in my email box and I wanted to share a few things with you:
    1) I saw this TED talk about dieting and I think you might find it helpful: http://www.ted.com/talks/sandra_aamodt_why_dieting_doesn_t_usually_work?utm_source=email&source=email&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ios-share I hope you make time to watch this video so you can STOP beating yourself up over your body - its NOT worth it!!
    2) Though I am not a mom, I have worked for MANY years to put myself first, because I know if I keep giving away all of myself to others (and I have done this for many years, ALL women do irregardless of motherhood or not), there will be nothing left for myself and this only turns into bitterness and resentment. I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT and I share this info with my girlfriends because it's time this 'self sacrificing' behavior come to an END! You might want to peek at this concept of "extreme self care" so you can begin your own journey toward taking care of yourself FIRST, so you will actually have MORE ENERGY for those that you love: http://www.cherylrichardson.com/wp-content/uploads/artofextreme_intro1.pdf I can tell you from personal experience that putting yourself first FEELS like 'extreme self care' because we are never taught as young girls that taking care of ourselves is our priority, so it feels extreme to put yourself first, but trust me, this feeling eventually goes away and you will begin to feel something radical - SELF LOVE =-)
    3) As a fellow artist/bookmaker/art journaler, it is hard to make that time for our art-full passions in the face of 'responsibilities, but this is where 'extreme self care' comes back - it is SO IMPORTANT to make even a little time to tend to our creativity and you would be surprised what you can accomplish in 10-15 minutes! I gently urge you to try to carve out those 10-15 minutes each day as a 'sacred time' for yourself - you will feel the benefits within a few weeks, I guarantee it =-) I hope you find these words helpful - it pains me to see women beat themselves up over their weight or to leave their creativity on the back-burner! Sending you healing thoughts of self love!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOPS! I thought I was commenting with my blogger account but I didn't - I am now leaving this comment to let you know the previous long-winded comment is from me, The Creative Beast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I start to feel like I've lost my way, I get out my journal and I WRITE! Writing has always been a healing practice for me...a way to work things out and find clarity; a way to release all of the emotions that I've been keeping bottled up inside me because I don't want to upset anyone by sharing what I'm going through. I love the feeling of just letting everything come out with no holding back. I find that I am more myself when I write because I'm not putting on a brave face and trying to pretend that everything is sunshine and rainbows. I'm much more honest with myself in my journal. My journal jelps me to keep my perspective straight, and to remind myself that even things feel bad, there are still things to feel good about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, Thanks so much for sharing this. I, too LOVE to write and KNOW when I journal I am a much healthier and happier person!!!

      Delete
  6. Wow, Leslie! I could have written this blog post. I've felt so discouraged, defeated, depressed lately. I feel as if every area of my life is out of sync. I so appreciate your transparency. When I lose my way, I generally pray (sometimes fast) and journal. Getting stuff out of my head and onto paper helps tremendously. I also talk to a trusted friend who "gets me". Thank you, Leslie. God truly uses you....Pamm

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!