Monday, February 29, 2016

Work Hard/Inspire Others


“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.” 
― Eleanor Roosevelt


The past few weeks I have been creating in our family computer room. With a few baskets here and there, words and phrase sheets scattered across the floor and minimal supplies I have tried to recreate my studio...without success! I miss my beautiful sun-filled space soooo much but it's all been worth the time away. You see my incredibly talented daughter, Emma has been busy as a bee...working day and night (literally) on her art portfolio for her college application.

Her work is stunning.
Heartfelt.
Thoughtful.

I am so proud of her!



A quick sketch with gel pens

My sweet girl has been creating since she was old enough to hold a crayon in her hand. Always drawing, coloring and having "art shows" for her family.

A sketch using Prism color pencils along with a sweet cup of chocolate chips to keep up her energy!

Her dream is to attend MECA...The Maine College of Art.


A sketch in progress

Last fall we drove to Portland for a campus visit and portfolio review...the college is amazing!

This is the city of Portland!
  All of us fell in love with the charm and beauty of Portland...it's breathtaking!

MECA
One of the unique aspects of MECA is every Junior and Senior gets their OWN small studio!

One of the many large studios at MECA

To watch my girl work so hard for her BIG DREAM has been one of the most inspiring things I've ever witnessed.

One of her many oil paintings
 “Everything you can imagine is real.” 




This one is my favorite!

So yeah...I haven't been in my studio for the past 20 days...but no complaints here. For instead of spending time in my space, painting, journaling, dreaming....I have been able to rejoice with my daughter each time she yells..."Mom, come here! I want to show you my latest piece!" I get to hear her sweet voice as she sings merrily away, paintbrush in hand, eagerly creating her latest masterpiece. My greatest JOY has come from her happiness. 

My girl. 

The artist. 

Throughout her life Em has always been inspired by one of her favorite artists...Leonardo Da Vinci. This past June we were blessed to travel to Europe and see Da Vinci's home, his tomb and of course his magnificent paintings including his most famous...The Mona Lisa.

Here is my girl...her beautiful light shining...at his home.




Emma has always put 100% into whatever she is doing. And when it comes to her art...well, I think her work speaks for itself. I believe this Da Vinci quote fits her perfectly!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. 
Leonardo da Vinci


What she has taught me these past few weeks is to go after MY Big Dreams! No more excuses! When your heart speaks you can do nothing else but listen...then get to work...and do your VERY best. 

Focus.
Be Diligent.
Be positive.
Take care of your body.
Listen to the Spirit.

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do. Leonardo da Vinci

2 comments:

  1. Your daughter is a wonderful artist and so inspiring. Love the quotes - have inspired me to get doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! And I love that picture of Emma!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!