Friday, April 22, 2016

Top 5: Prince and the Revolution

You can always tell when the groove is working or not. 
-Prince

Some of my most cherished memories are from the 80's. 
Cruising Riverview
High School dances
Happy Joe's Pizza
Working at Jack's and King's Daughters and Sons
and 
Music.

This was the age of MTV, Friday Night Videos and USA for Africa. 
Music permeated the halls of our high school, 
our cars, 
arcades,
sleep-overs, 
dances...
our lives.


The songs and artists are still Iconic some 30 years later.
Cyndi Lauper, Culture Club, Duran Duran,  Hall & Oates, Micheal Jackson and Prince.

The summer of 1981 stands out as one of the best of my life. Swimming in my backyard, long walks under the stars, Jamie and John, Rose and Renee...and music. Oh I LOVED music from that summer...
Bette Davis Eyes, Arthur's Theme and Controversy. 
I had NEVER heard anything quite like that song in my life and I wanted more. 


I found the cassette in one of those K-Tel type "cheap" bins at Jacks and snatched it up. The album was down right raunchy at times...but as I would soon find out..that was just Prince and I loved it! 

I found out later that another one of my favorite songs from the late 70's was actually a PRINCE song!! "I Wanna Be Your Lover" topped Billboard's Hot 100 at #11 in 1979. 

Lucky for me and the rest of the world Prince would go on to become a Pop Legend...burning up the charts with Five Number One Hits including "When Doves Cry". 



Here are MY Top Five favorite Prince songs of all time...

Number 5: Controversy...My first "taste" of Prince...I knew it was love!

Number 4: The Beautiful Ones...This song is from the soundtrack Purple Rain. I can still see him sing this one in the movie. I love it! Classic Prince.

Number 3: I Would Die For You...how could I NOT have this one in my Top 5?! The Purple Rain album was the soundtrack of my life back in the 80's!! 


Number 2: 1999...the first time I heard this all I could think of was ....WOW!!! I can't get enough of this guy!! My friends and I belted this song out more times than I can count...all the while not believing it would actually BE 1999 one day!



And my NUMBER ONE Prince song is from that same album..."Free". It never made the charts (that I know of) but it is the BEST Prince song out there. Take a listen....I think you will agree!




I still can't believe one of my childhood favorites is gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!